Humbled Housewife

Friday, February 14, 2014

Cowboy's Delight

Today was a rainy, Valentine's day and I thought something warm and hearty sounded good for dinner.  I knew the kids would come home from school with sugar highs and want some good food.

So I pulled out the trusty crock pot and got to work preparing something yummy.  

When I was a child in elementary school, one of my favorite school lunches was 'Cowboy's Delight'.  It's basically a delicious version of goulash.  This was back when the cooks actually prepared our meals from scratch and served them hot and fresh.  I don't think most schools do that anymore.  Anyway, today I made it by accident while experimenting.  When I took that first bite, the memories came flooding back.  I never want to forget this recipe!

So here it is:

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 14.5 oz. can beef broth
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. dried chopped onion
2 tsp. garlic (crushed, chopped or minced)
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. parsley
salt & pepper
12 oz. package of macaroni
1/2 - 1  cup water
 
 
Put everything except the macaroni and water in the crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.  30 minutes prior to serving, stir in the uncooked macaroni and water and let cook through.  If you want a more soupy consistency, you can add more broth or tomato juice when you add the macaroni.  Serve with breadsticks found here if you'd like.
 
 
 
Enjoy!


1 comment: