Humbled Housewife

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Deviled Easter Eggs

On Saturday while my kids were coloring Easter eggs, I made some deviled eggs.  After I made them, I took a picture and posted it on my Facebook page.  I have had at least one person a day ask me how I made them so I thought I would share it here.  They're so cute for Easter!  You could even make them green for St. Patrick's Day.

Ingredients
eggs (as many as you want)
water
apple cider vinegar
food coloring

Filling
Miracle Whip
dill weed

Boil the eggs and let cool.  While they're cooling you can get the color ready.  Fill four or five bowls each with about a cup of water.  If you're doing a lot of eggs, use bigger bowls and more water. Add 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, and food coloring.  I only put four or five drops per bowl. 

Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them in half lengthwise.  Place the yolks into a bowl and rinse the eggs with cool water before placing them into the color.  Let them soak for at least five minutes.  I'm sure some of mine soaked for 10-15.  Just keep checking them until they're the color you want.  You can add more food coloring at anytime to make them darker or give them a marble look.

While the eggs are soaking, mash the yolks together and add enough Miracle Whip to make a pasty consistency.  Then add 1 tsp. dill weed and stir well.  If I have celery, I like to dice it up and add it to the filling. 

Once the eggs are the color you want, take them out and place them onto a cookie sheet covered with paper towels to help soak up any excess water. 

You can either carefully spoon the filling into each egg or put the filling into a Ziplock bag, seal it, cut one of the bottom corners and pipe it out.  Or if you have a pastry bag with a nozzle, use it. 

Once the eggs are filled, pour some paprika into the palm of your hand and take a pinch to sprinkle over each egg. 

And there you have deviled Easter eggs!


Aren't they cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment